NCT is offering Baseline Concussion Testing to help inform safe return to sport decisions following a concussion.
SIGN UP HERE FOR BASELINE CONCUSSION TESTING.
What is Baseline Concussion Testing?
Baseline testing involves a battery of cognitive and physical tests that are conducted at the start of a sports season, prior to sustaining a concussion. The Baseline Assessments measure areas of brain function that can be impacted by a concussion.
How can Baseline Concussion Testing Help Me?
In the event of a concussion, the Baseline Testing Assessment is repeated once the athlete feels ready to return to sports. The two assessments are compared to help inform safe return to play decisions.
What Does NCT’s Baseline Testing Program Include?
Beginning of the season
- Concussion education: prevention and management.
- Physical and cognitive Baseline Concussion Assessment.
In the event of a concussion
- Access to Neurology, Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy appointments within 1 week of injury.
When ready to return to play
- Repeat Baseline Testing Assessment.
- Results compared to pre-injury measures to help inform return to play decision.
Who Can Enroll?
- Any individual ages 8 years and older, living in Ontario, Canada.
- You must be able to come in to the Neurology Centre of Toronto (NCT) to do your in-person physical testing.
What is Included in the Baseline Testing Program?
- Concussion Education Seminar
- Comprehensive Baseline Concussion Testing
- Access to NCT’s Concussion Care Team within 1 week of concussion: Neurology, Occupational Therapy, and Physiotherapy appointment.
- Repeat Baseline Testing to inform safe return-to-play decision.
What is the Cost?
- Individual athlete: $289/athlete each year.
- School/team discounted affiliated rate: $249/athlete each year.
- Ask us if your school/sports team is an affiliate of our program!
Why is Early Access to Care Important After a Concussion?
- Research shows medical intervention within 1 week of concussion is associated with faster concussion recovery.
Why is Baseline Concussion Testing Important?
- Helps to identify the impact of a concussion on an individual’s functioning.
- Provides individualized pre and post measures of performance.
- Informs safer return to sport decisions, as the resolution of symptoms may not be indicative of functional recovery.
“Comparing post-injury test results to baseline test results can assist healthcare professionals in identifying the effects of the injury and making more informed return to school and play decisions.”
– Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 2015.
Please complete this application form to apply for the Baseline Concussion Testing program.Apply Here